RIP Samuel “Doc” Gruber
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Dr. Samuel “Doc” Gruber, founder of the Bimini Biological Field Station on Thursday 18 April. Doc was a shark biologist and founder of the American Elasmobranch Society. He was a Professor at the University of Miami and a recognized authority on shark science, having completed 49 Atlantic research cruises and over 170 scientific publications. The Wetpixel community sends our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends
RED releases REDCINE-X
ED CINE-X is now out of beta and available for production use. Perhaps most crucially, the new version allows for real-time decode of the 6K footage when processed with compatible NVIDIA hardware. The process is handled by the CUDA cores on the GPU and this allows the editing to be carried out on native footage, rather than proxies.
Show Report: ADEX 2019 by Drew Wong
Wetpixel’s Drew Wong presents a comprehensive report from the 2019 ADEX Show. Held in the Suntec Center, Singapore, the show is the longest-running and biggest dive show in Asia and had numerous panel discussion and events centered around underwater imaging. In addition, the now infamous Wetpixel/Sam’s Tours Imaging party was held at the Armoury, and Drew has shared his images from the event. If you weren’t there, you missed out!
Sea&Sea ships YS Optical converter for EOS R
Happy Earth Day 2019
Nauticam ships housing for Fujifilm X-T3
Nauticam has formally announced their NA-XT3 housing for the Fujifilm X-T3 mirrorless camera. It has the N100 port system and an M24 bulkhead for HDMI 2 compatibility. It can also be fitted with an optional 2500 mAh USB battery pack that rests in a form-fitting cradle beneath the camera.
NiMAR ships two housings for Canon EOS RP
AQUA by Pietro Formis available for pre-order
Underwater photographer Pietro Formis has announced that his book “AQUA, Underwater World Mysteries” will be available from 5 June. Featuring 128 pages with 110 photos, the book sets out to both entertain and educate with information about the marine environment, its plight and the creatures that live within it.
- Sony updates A9 firmware to 3.01 (via )
- Skylum updates Luminar to version 1.3.0 (via )
- Canon updates firmware for EOS 6D Mark II to version 1.04 (via )
- Nikon updates firmware for Df, D810, D610 and Coolpix cameras (via )
- Nikon updates firmware for D850, D750, D500, D7500, D7200,… (via )
- Canon releases service advisory for EOS 70D (via )
- Panasonic updates firmware for GH5, GH5s and G9 cameras (via )
- Nikon releases firmware version 1.30 for D5 camera (via )
- Plastic bag found at the bottom of the Mariana trench (via )
- A closer look at the taxidermy anteater photo (via )