Snapping shrimp are the honeybees of the sea
Snapping shrimp, whose several different species are known for their pistol-like pincher movement, have another more interesting bit of trivia about them: they are eusocial. These shrimp are one of the only known marine species to share the responsibilities of raising young. This characteristic is most recognizable in honeybees. Colonies of snapping shrimp most typically live in sponges and have one queen. Scientists have recently focused on their social network.
Lightroom Coffee Break: Using the metadata painter
Video: Using the Sony a9 and tethering it to a monitor
Photographer Daniel Woods organized an underwater photo shoot with other photographers using the Sony α9. He produced a video showing some behind the scenes footage of the event. Woods tethered the camera to a monitor on the surface to better allow the models to see the resulting images and adjust their poses.
Alien Skin releases update to Exposure X3
Alien Skin has released a significant update to its Exposure X3 photo management and editing app. The Complete Workflow Update adds HSL tools, Kelvin values for accurate WB, printing directly out of the app, watermarking, collections, additional flexibility with keywords and a side by side view.
Using AIS and satellite data to track illegal fishing vessels
Conservationists are using algorithms and satellite data to help combat illegal fishing on the high seas and in marine protected areas. Environmentalists from Oceana have published data acquired from four separate case studies showing how illegal fisherman turn off their AIS (Automated Identification System) when entering marine protected waters and then turn it back after exiting. Often times these locations are home to highly lucrative fish, including tuna, sharks, and other protected fisheries.
Video: Socorro by Sean Ruggeri shot on RED MONSTRO
RED Digital Cinema’s Sean Ruggeri has shared a stunning demo reel shot in Soccorro, Mexico with the new RED WEAPON MONSTRO camera and VV H2O OLPF. Filmed while diving with the Nautilus Explorer, Sean used a Nikonos RS20-135mm lens. The camera was housed in a Gates DEEP WEAPON housing and lighting was with Gates GT14 lights.
Join team Gulen for the SHOOTOUT
Aditech ships MVHS-AX700 housing
- Nikon updates D800 firmware to version 1.11 (via )
- A $3 million camera (via )
- The ocean’s most efficient jet engine is the chambered… (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D to version 1.4.7 (via )
- Nikon updates D500 Distortion Control Data to Version 2.017 (via )
- Nikon updates D500 “C” firmware to version 1.14 (via )
- New population of world’s rarest fish found of Tasmania (via )
- Cuttlefish, master of camouflage, reveals a new trick (via )
- Insecto photographers seeks millions of dollars from pest… (via )
- Google removes “view image” button in image search to protect… (via )